Personal trainers and stereotypes? Yeah, believe it or not people have pre-conceptions about my profession. You too may have questions but were afraid to ask.
So let’s play
Ask a personal trainer.
1. If I ask you these questions will you make me push-ups for the entire hour?
No. I don’t think I have ever been offended by a question. Even if I was, I have never made anyone do push-ups for an hour. Now drop and give me twenty Ha Ha Ha!
2. I hear most trainers are gigolos. Are you a gigolo?
I am happily married and have two kids. I am the farthest thing from a gigolo.
3. I hear most trainers are as dumb as a brick. Are you as dumb as a brick?
Well, you can draw you own conclusions on that one. I have a B.A. in History and a B.S. in Business Management from Trinity University. I am one of those corporate drop-outs that decided I would be happier pursuing what I love rather than playing the corporate game.
4. You look older than twenty. I thought you had to be twenty years old to be a trainer.
How much did you know about anything at age twenty? I am pretty sure that anyone who can stay up all night, eat anything they want and never gain a pound of fat is not the type of trainer that is going to be sympathetic to the issues of a fifty year old. I really don’t think there are any age limits for trainers. I am 46 now, which is about the average age of my clients.
5. Do you have to bench 300 pounds to be a trainer?
No, I am afraid you have to actually study and take tests to become a trainer. Actually you don’t and that is the scary part about this. I think there are a lot of trainers out there whose only credentials are that they can bench 300 +.
6. Do you wear spandex and jump around?
I do not wear spandex and I rarely jump around unless we are doing plyometrics.
7. Do you take your shirt off and stare in the mirror when we train?
No, I am really not that vain.
8. Do you shout at clients when you train them like they do on ” Biggest Loser”?
No, I have never shouted at anyone and I am not going to start now.
9. Do you make your clients push cars and stuff like they do on ” Biggest Loser”?
Remember, the ” Biggest Loser” is just a TV show.
10. Have you ever had anyone have a heart attack while training?
No one has ever had a heart attack while working out with me.
Join me next time as maybe I will field another batch of questions.
In the mean time have you joined my fitness university? Look to your right and you will see the sign-up form. It is free and it will help you get in shape.
If you are interested in personal training, please go to my website and let me know.
Visit me at http://www.mfactorfitness.com . Michael Medvig is a personal trainer and owner of M Factor Fitness Inc., an in home personal training company in Parker Colorado. This blog represents opinions on fitness. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. All information and materials on this site are provided as is and without warranty of any kind. These materials (including all text, images, logos, compilation, and design, unless otherwise noted) are copyright 2001-2010 M Factor Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright 2001-2010 M Factor Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. |