How to Start an Exercise Program For Beginners
Part 1: Basics
Happy New Year! I have some sobering news for you.
Three weeks from now, most people will have broken their New Year’s resolutions.
But not you, my friend, because you have stumbled upon this mega post.
Here is a quote from Alfred Souza via the great Jeffrey Gitomer. This blew me away when I read it.
” For a long time it had seemed to me that I was about to begin real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.”
Here is the best piece of advice I can give give you.
Ignore the noise and do the work.
Quick Lesson on Fitness Philosophy
So the idea here is is that I need to get you moving. Start exercising, then we can fine-tune your program.
You can sit here all day and read and by the end of the day you will still be here reading, confused and with a sore butt.
Here is a series of Podcasts Specifically targeted for beginners.
1. Why you need you use resistance in your workouts
2. Why recovery is so important
3. Why increasing your metabolism is critical to your success
There is a lot of fitness information out there.
- Some of it is very good.
- Some (okay, a lot) of it is outdated.
- Most of it is driven by marketing. Meaning that it is meant to drive you into buying specific products or services.
You may be saying, “hey Mike, aren’t you doing the same thing”.
And to a degree you are right. I am a personal trainer but I am also marketing my fitness and nutrition programs.
The difference is simply this. I am not telling you this is easy. I don’t talk about miracle pills or ,melting away slabs of fat in just 10 minutes a day.
The only way to change your body is with smart, hard work.
Anything and everything on this site is geared towards that because if you aren’t willing to put the time in, you won’t get the results.
I am not here to waste your time and money.
- Get started now. Don’t wait to become a fitness expert before you start your journey.
- Resistance Training is the best way to reshape your body, burn calories and increase your metabolism. There are a number of different ways to do it. You can use bands, weights, kettlebells or just your own weight. The bottom-line is you need to work all the muscles of the body against some form of resistance to make a change.
- Cardio can be great for meditation, getting fresh air and burning calories but it will not appreciably increase your metabolism or reshape your body.
- Please my my sake, choose a level of exercise that fits your ability and experience. Don’t sign up for CrossFit, bootcamps or Insanity right off the bat. This is just a recipe for disaster.
If you want to work out in your home and get started learning the right exercises to do, may I suggest my online training?
Here is a short video on it.
In the next part of the series we will cover walking.
Take two-seconds and join my other sites so you don’t want to miss a thing:
Interested in training with me? Questions?
Well, here is the form to fill out!