Here is to a new year. Every year there are thousands of people that have a New Years resolution to drop fat, tone up and get in the best shape of their life. I wish them the best. In fact, I am going to giving you a list from a personal trainer’s perspective on how to do this. Follow this and you will reach your goals. The more points you ignore, the greater your change of failure. It is the new year and I have things to do, so this list will be short and to the point, as should your workouts. Please email me with any questions.
- Workout 6 days a week. 5 at the absolute minimum.
- Never take more than one day off in a row. The more time you take off, the harder it is to get back in the groove.
- Whatever your goal is, include weightlifting. This can be body weight exercises, dumbbells or machines. Preferably as little machine work as possible. Concentrate on free weights and bodyweight. The are more effective and they work on the critically important stabilizer muscles.
- Write down what you are going to eat for the day. This will help with discipline.
- Write down what you actually eat. This is the most important nutrition tip you will ever get.
- If you haven’t worked out, take it easy for the first 2 weeks. This will ease you into a routine, prevent injuries and help strengthen the tendons and ligaments.
- Start increasing the intensity after two weeks. I don’t want you to be sore everyday but I need you to feel like you worked out. This is a good indicator of your effort.
- Cut the carbs. People are fat because they eat too many carbs. Eat one serving of protein and one carb every meal. Don’t worry about calories.
- Eat Breakfast. Always.
- Take your day off when you need it. That is when you are wiped out and your body is telling you to take a day off.
- You never need to work out for more than 1 hour at a time. if you can’t get it in in 60 minutes, you are not working fast enough.
- Always stretch for 5-10 minutes everyday especially after the workout. You will avoid many aches and pains by doing this. Don’t walk like Frankenstein the next day. Keep your muscles and joints loose.
Bonus tip: Serious training leads to serious results. This is work. Your efforts will pay off if you train consistently and follow the above. As a personal trainer in Colorado, my clients who see the most success follow these steps. It doesn’t whether you are a man or woman. It doesn’t matter how old you are. It doesn’t matter what diet you want to follow. Follow these steps and you have your guideline to stay in shape the rest of your life.
I want to thank everyone for reading these blogs. I wish you the best,
Visit me at http://www.mfactorfitness.com Michael Medvig is a personal trainer and owner of M Factor Fitness Inc., an in home personal training company in Parker Colorado. This blog represents opinions on fitness. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. All information and materials on this site are provided as is and without warranty of any kind. These materials (including all text, images, logos, compilation, and design, unless otherwise noted) are copyright 2001-2010 M Factor Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright 2001-2010 M Factor Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. |